When drawing up an individual design based on the given requirements, MEA drain solutions provide quick, reliable and economical drainage of surface water. Whether in the public, industrial or private sector, linear drainage is the optimal solution as water can drain into the installed channel along the entire length.
Several factors are important if accurate calculations are to be made: the size and surface features of the site to be drained must be taken into account, along with the average amount of water deposited in this area.
Hydro Construction Products offers a full free of charge technical design service providing hydraulic calculations, CAD layout drawings, quantity schedules and product specifications.
To calculate the site’s hydraulic requirements, the following steps should be followed:
- Multiply the catchment length by the catchment width to give the surface are to be drained by the channels.
- Multiply the catchment area by the chosen rainfall intensity (80mm per hour being the most commonly used). The calculated figures are the litres per hour that the channel must cope with.
- Divide by 3600 to calculate the site requirements in litres per second.
- Divide the channel length (in metres) to give the flow rate (litres per second per metre).
- Cross-reference flow rate with MEA’s hydraulic data to determine channel required- click here for MEA Hydraulic Calculations.
- Check the outlet has sufficient discharge capacity to deal with the requirements.